Saturday, June 5, 2010

Finally, our first ride


Shakedown ride number one – done. Melissa and I rode the bikes (almost) fully loaded. We set off from Italian Village and headed for the Olentangy Bike Path, where I immediately rode into 2070 and was transported into the 90-year-old me. We had started off slow (or at least I did) and everyone who we met on the path seemed to be going a million miles per hour. Slow down! Where’s your helmet? Hmph, kids these days! I think a girl on a tricycle passed me, but it was all a blur, so I can’t be sure.

And then, miraculously, it was a piece of cake. We rode 10 miles, turned around to head home and then it stared to rain. It not only rain, it poured. It may have been one of my most favorite bike rides ever.

Before we had even started the ride, before leaving our apartment, I stopped at the door to grab a couple of bucks – just in case either one of us got a flat. You know, so that I could pay someone to do it for me. And then I remembered that in 16 short days, Melissa and I will be riding our bikes . . . across the country . . . completely self-contained . . . . Hmmm, maybe possibly I should be ready to fix my own flat should it occur. And it will.

Brooke

1 comment:

  1. I work at NW, and was directed to your Blog by another NW'der. I did the same type of trip when I was 21 - which was 32 years ago. If there is one piece of advice I can offer you - just keep moving and don't stay in one place too long. You need to worry where you eat, where you sleep, and taking care of your bikes and yourselves. The miles will come. But just keep moving. There will be zero days, and days of 100 or more miles, but just keep moving. You will discover a country you never realized was out there - trust me.

    ReplyDelete